February 17, 2023 - one year ago
Urban Rec is proud to announce that we have recently updated our gender identity options across member profiles, the registration process, and rules within our club.
While Urban Rec has always been LGBTQI+ friendly, the functionality of being able to offer places on team rosters for those that don’t identify as man or woman, has not been possible…Till now.
We believe that all Australian’s should have access to social sports. We welcome all people, of any gender identity to join Urban Rec and benefit from the physical and mental health benefits that come with playing social sport. Urban Rec aims to provide a supportive and inclusive space for everyone, now and always.
HERE ARE THE SMALL, BUT IMPORTANT CHANGES
- Players can select a gender identity other than man or woman when creating their member profile.
- Individual teams will have space available on team rosters for people who are non-binary, transitioning etc.
- Our sports rules have been updated to remove references to gender advantages or disadvantages in the context of scoring, defending, or positioning.
- Urban Rec has become a member of Pride in Sport, a national not-for-profit sporting inclusion program specifically designed to assist sporting organisations at all levels.
WHY ARE WE NOT MAKING ALL LEAGUES OPEN? I.E. NO GENDER REQUIREMENTS
Urban Rec has long been at the forefront of efforts to drive gender equity in the social sports environment. While many of our counterparts in the adult recreation space claim to be facilitating mixed-gender environments, there are very few other adult recreation providers that are facilitating exclusively mixed-gender leagues with the minimum inclusion requirements that we have long held to be fundamental to our programs.
All sports need to have a minimum gender identity requirement. Without gender identity requirements within a mixed sports environment we would unfortunately take away the equity of women, men and non-binary individuals having access to play in a mixed-gender, social, fun and fair environment. Simply stated, we would become a male dominated sports club.
MORE ON RULE UPDATES
- Our sports rules have been updated to remove references to gender advantages or disadvantages in the context of scoring, defending, or positions.
- Where appropriate physical advantages and disadvantages have been taken into consideration.
- These include Touch Football, Basketball, Softball, Flag Gridiron and Netball.
- These rules are now live within your member dashboard and on our website.
ACKNOWLEDGE THESE CHANGES WITH URBAN REC’S FIRST PRIDE ROUND
- Pride Round is happening nationally within all Urban Rec cities, Feb 20 till 24, 2023.
- To acknoledge all of our LGBTQI+ community as well as the additional announcements and updates.
- We welcome players to wear some rainbow to show their support.
- In Sydney, Our Party Cart will be attending a league each night with support from our sponsor, Young Henrys.
- Donate what you can for a sausage and a beer towards Access Social Sports, and PrideCup.
- What is Access Social Sports? Check out our instagram post here.
WHAT DO URBAN REC MEMBERS NEED TO DO?
Get to know your updated rules, continue to play with kindness and fairness. If you have a question about someone's gender identity before, during or after a game, talk to your Event Host. Urban Rec has zero tolerance for homophopia, biphobia and transphobia.
These updates are new for our club and an ever-progressive process for us all. We will not get this right the first time, and we do not pretend to have it all figured out, but we promise we are trying our best. Through our membership with Pride in Sport and the input from our LGBTQI+ community, we will continue to update and evolve as necessary. Our commitment is enduring.
If you have any questions or suggestions about the policy or updates, please contact [email protected]Learn More